Monday, February 15, 2010

Naming Baby - Part 1


With all the names in the world out there, why is it so hard to name your own children? My son, Dylan, was supposed to be a David. I was supposed to be a Betsy, and truthfully, I'm glad my parents picked Susan!
When I was 15, I made a list of names I wanted for my children: the boys names were Christopher and Jacob and the girls were Katie and Elizabeth. But then I dated a Christopher, so I couldn't use that name anymore. Jacob is the name of the werewolf in The Twilight Saga, not to mention one of the top ten most popular boys names in the past ten years, so everyone in the world will be using that name. My ex-in-laws (whom I'm really close to) have a granddaughter named Katie already. My older brother already used the name Elizabeth for his third child. So I can't use any of those names.
Then, when I try to come up with names on my own, family ties get in the way. I can't honor one while leaving another out. Dylan's middle name is his mother's father's last name. My middle name is Joy, named after my grandmother. My husband's middle name is his father's middle name. My older brother named two of his kids after my mother, and my brother was named after our father. My husband's parent's haven't been honored yet but twice, but their names are not names I'd want to give to my children. Don't get me wrong, their names are strong, good names, I just don't think they'd fit into our little family.
So now what? I've gone completely mental over naming my next child! My husband, son, even my cat all have 5 letters in their first names. I sort of want to keep the tradition alive. So I'm limited in naming my next son or daughter. I made a list of boys and girls names that would be 5 letter first names and family middle names.
Girls: Abbey Joy, Libby Constance, or Sarah Jane
Boys: Jason Leonard, Caleb Dominic, or Aiden Claude
Then I run into the possibilities of moving first and middle names around....
Have I just gone crazy? What do you think?
Sent From my Verizon Wireless Blackberry Curve

0 thoughts about this post on "Naming Baby - Part 1"

Post a Comment